WELCOME TO NOT ONE SHALL BE LOST

The purpose of this site is to allow our family members to become more acquainted with our ancestors for whom we owe a great debt of gratitude for their noble heritage.

Friday, April 9, 2010

Allen Marler, Jr.


This is a picture of Allen Marler, Jr., son of Allen Marler, Sr., and Harriet Heath. He was born in Port Gibson, Claiborne County, Mississippi, USA, on 8 June 1843. He is Don LeRoy Marler's great-grandfather. Along with his family, consisting of his father and mother and seven brothers and sisters, he left Mississippi in 1850 to travel to the West to join the members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in March 1850. On the way up the Mississippi River the family contracted cholera and within less than a month's time, his father, three sisters, two boy cousins, and a Negro mammy all succumbed to the disease.

In spite of this hardship his mother, Harriet decided to continue on West to join with the Saints in the Great Basin. They settled in Pleasant Grove where they built a home. It was one of the first homes built in Pleasant Grove. The story of the "rich widow Marler", Allen's mother, Harriet Heath Marler is a faith promoting experience for all who would read about it.

7 comments:

Melissa said...

I love it Dad...Thanks for sharing!!

Bobbi said...

I'm excited for this blog. Great idea!

Becky and JJ Campbell said...

This is so cool. I can't wait to read more. Thank you so much for doing this.

Unknown said...

Thanks :)

Unknown said...

I think this is wonderful. This is a wonderful way to connect everyone to our family, and learn about our past. Thanks...

Kelli said...

Grandpa, this is great! I'm so excited to learn more about my ancestors.

Casey said...

This is going to be great, Grandpa! I am excited to learn more about my ancestors.